Saturday, May 15, 2010

one week

I haven't updated in forever. If you visit regularly, please forgive me. But keep visiting because I will be updating much more frequently. And here's why...

In one week (yes, that's only seven days), my trip to Gabon, Africa, will begin. I will be interning with Tim & Meredith Brokopp. You can check them out here.

Meet Tim and Meredith :) I promise they actually don't hurt each other.

They will host several short term missions teams this summer, and connect them to the various ministries that the Gabonese have already started. Some of those ministries will include a Mobile Medical Clinic, the Hope House Orphanage, Bongolo Hospital, Church Planting in different Villages, and lots of other great ministries. As an intern, I will be helping to lead those wonderful teams.

As some of you know, I was on one of those short term teams last summer with others from my youth group at Lancaster Alliance Church. We were stretched outside of our comfort zone and emerged so quickly into a foreign culture. Saying we loved it would be an understatement. Our team quickly fell in with the people. And with tears in my eyes, I said goodbye. I had thoughts of returning, but I never thought in my wildest dreams that I actually would. Yet here I am, with only seven days left until I leave. In God's perfect plan, He knew I would return. Even in my moments of fear, doubt, and uncertainty, this is what God has placed before me this summer. I am following with no hesitation.

I didn't share too much about my trip last summer because this summer will be totally different. I have some ideas of what to expect because of last summer, but in the same regards I am absolutely clueless because three months is MUCH longer than 2 weeks (did I mention it was three months before?!?! I have a week of training in California/Mexico starting the 23rd, I arrive in Gabon May 28th and leave August 11th) . And I think I'm okay with being clueless in regards of what to expect. The last thing I want is for my expectations to get in the way of what God will do in me and through this summer.

If it seems like I didn't share many details, it's probably because I don't know much myself. I do know that this is what God has for me this summer and I am following with an open and willing heart to grow, serve, and love. So join me as I journal about my summer in Gabon and as I learn to open my heart to everything that God has for me.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Bethany. Your blog came up on my Google Reader this morning. I think I will be meeting you this week as I live at Bongolo. Have a good trip down country!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth...can't wait to read and soak in all that you are experiencing this summer. Send pics, especially ones I would recognize...I am SO excited that you are heading back-what a rich experience!!! Trust the Lord to hold you close during the unknown and sometimes uncertain moments. His strength has brought you this far and supplied your needs....He is up to something in you this summer.
    I LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete