Thursday, May 27, 2010

Expectations vs. Expectancy

As I try to write this with quiet fingers, my eyes are drowsy. It's been a long couple of days of training, but everything that I needed. Along with all the other interns serving overseas this summer, I participated in training in Ensenada, Mexico. During this training we bonded with other interns, imitated some short team scenerios and how to deal with others, and heard from speakers that truly let the Spirit speak through them. As much as I want to tell you all they said right now and how it is playing into what God is doing within at this time, that would take forever. I'll be sure to include those in other posts throughout my summer as those things occur. Try not be be too anxious, I promise they will come.

Now to the title of my blog, Expectations vs. Expectancy. As the time to get on the plane to Africa is quickly coming close, I find myself forfeiting my expectations and gaining expectancy. If I enter into this summer with a list of expectations and criteria to base what God did and how He moved, I will surely be disappointed. Because you see, God is already in Gabon. He has arrived long before I will even enter the airport. He has invited me to be apart of that, and if I enter in with a list of things I need to see and do in order to know God is working, I won't be happy. The God I serve is unpredictable. It would be insane for me to try to put Him in a box and tell him what I need to happen in order for me to know He is working. If I try to focus on specific ways that He is working, I might miss the ways that He is truly working. I may be looking for the big signs, all the meanwhile not hearing that still small voice inside calling out to me. So I don't have a list of criteria and I am expecting nothing. I know that God is working and that He will continue to do so this summer. He always is. It is my choice to be apart of it with an open-mind. With an expectant heart I have no agenda, time frame, or area that I need Him to work in. I sit at Jesus' feet surrendering myself to WHATEVER He has in store for me. After all, it is all about Him.

We have another day of training here in LA. Friday, most of the other interns head out to the parts of the world they are serving in. The Gabon team takes off early Saturday morning so we have an extra day to relax and to allow God to prepare us. I'll try to blog before we leave. Blogging everyday is not as easy as it sounds of as I would like it to be, so please bear with me.

Dad: I saw on my tracker that Lancaster visited not too long ago. It's after three at home so that means it was probably you checking when you got up. Good Morning!, and it is time for me to get some rest, finally.

3 comments:

  1. ONE TRUE GOD by Mark Harris

    I don't have a God I can put on a stand
    Or a God I hold in the palm of my hand
    I have a God that's holding me

    And I don't have a God that I can create
    In the place I live with the money I make
    I have a God, He made everything

    So I don't need a temporary man-made deity
    When I got the real thing, I got the real thing

    He's the Lord of all the earth, the maker of all things
    He alone is the one true God
    Kingdoms rise and fall but even through it all
    He remains the one true God

    I don't have a thing that I got on my own
    I don't have a care that I carry alone
    But I have a God who's carrying me

    And I don't have sin that He doesn't forgive
    And I don't have a heart that is worthy of His
    But I have a God who still loves me

    So I don't need a temporary man-made deity
    When I got the real thing, I got the real thing

    Lord of all the earth, the maker of all things
    He alone is the one true God
    Kingdoms rise and fall but even through it all
    He remains the one true God

    Who is this King of Glory? The Lord strong and mighty
    Who is this King of Glory? The Lord strong and mighty
    Who is this King of Glory? Who is this King of Glory?

    He's the Lord of all the earth, the maker of all things
    He alone is the one true God
    Kingdoms rise and fall but even through it all
    He remains the one true God

    He's the Lord of all the earth, the maker of all things
    He alone is the one true God
    Kingdoms rise and fall but even through it all
    He remains the one true God
    He is, He is the one true God

    I don't have a God I can put on a stand
    And I don't have a God I can hold in my hand
    But I have a God holding me

    Hi Bethany, I am so thankful that this is the
    GOD whose name you are going forth in and for. HE is going before you, standing guard beside you, and watching you back. I love you - Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your thoughts, bethany! GOD showed me awhile ago that i was looking for HIM in some big way, when HE was there in the little. i never forgot that! keep your eyes open! HE loves to surprise us!

    vivien

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Beth!!!
    Good to see you on my facebook wall =)
    I am so glad to be able to read your thoughts and be encouraged by what you are learning.
    This is so good for you!!!
    I'm so proud!

    ReplyDelete