Wednesday, June 30, 2010

time to dance

Africans leave lots of space and time for dancing.

A church service is NOT complete without tons of dancing. Dancing is fun, and it is freeing. Everyone dances regardless of whether you think you can. All you have to do is shake your hips and move your feet, don't worry about the rhythm. Sometimes I get pulled up to dance, and other times I do it by choice. Two Sunday's ago has been my favorite dancing experience of all. We went to a service that was held for the Alliance churches in Libreville. It was held in a stadium and it was packed. Tim, who is a Pastor always gets special setting, and this time we did too by association. We were on ground level in Pastor setting, and of course, we get pulled up to dance during worship. So imagine this, a stadium full of Gabonese and the 15 whities dancing as if enough attention is given to us already. The crowd erupted when we began to dance. As I was dancing, I looked up and saw a little old lady, probably around 60, grinning ear to ear, moving her feet to match mine. The greatest thing about that is, she isn't just some little old lady, she is my sister, and one day will be dancing together in Heaven before our Father.

Monday night we enjoyed dinner at Mama Christine's house. Mama Christine is a nurse who helps with the Mobile Medical Clinic and she was gracious enough to have us all over for dinner. Of course, the night was not complete without dancing. As we sat in a circle, everyone took turns leading songs from the middle and demonstrating any motions and dance moves. We danced and sang together as joy overflowed from our hearts.

Not only do the Gabonese like to move, but they like to let the Holy Spirit move. Church services can take hours, and they usually do because the Gabonese will never cut the Holy Spirit out. It is easy to see the Spirit moving here and maybe because that is all I notice when I don't see the planning for service or understand the words that are being shared. In Forgotten God, Francis Chan shares two obstacles that keep me/us from connecting with and allowing the Holy Spirit to move.

1. Comfort. Why do I need the Holy Spirit if I can comfortable? I mean, the Holy Spirit is my Comforter, but if I am already comfortable, I don't need to be comforted by Him. It is only when I am uncomfortable, uncertain, and confused that I need and rely on the Spirit.

2. Volume. Sometimes with all the friends I hangout with, family I keep in touch with, homework I stay on top of, texts I send and receive, music I listen too, and TV shows I try to keep up with, my life is VERY loud. When my life is loud, the Holy Spirit is not the first thing I am listening to. Francis Chan says that " Our lack of intimacy is often due to our refusal to unplug and shut off the communication from all others so we can be alone with Him." When we live loud lives and never remove ourselves to quiet places, the Spirit is less likely to be heard.

My life is loud and comfortable.

"When we are at our wits' end for an answer, then the Holy Spirit can give us a answer. But how can He give us an answer when we are still well supplied with all sorts of answers of our own?" -Karl Bush

I want to be at my wits' end while living a quiet and very comfortable life so that the Holy Spirit can move within me as I live a surrendered life of following Him.

6 comments:

  1. Great post Bethany! My family and I are only a couple of weeks from joining the "dance" with you all in Libreville. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never knew you were such a good writer.. Want you to know that not a day goes by that we dont think about you. Love ya sis.. O yeah I can only imagine what kinda moves you were busting out with in the middle of the circle.. lol.. LOVE YA BETH

    ReplyDelete
  3. My most favorite post of all, Beth. My heart is overwhelmed with the things the LORD is teaching you. My mind's eye can see you among the Gabonese whooping it up on the "dance floor", but nothing compares to the reason behind it all...there is joy in your worship and in the way He's shaking up your heart. I'm so proud of you and your steps of faith this summer....Praying you have a measure of quiet in your day today. LOVE YOU, girlie! {sweet comment from your bro, btw...}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Bethany - I lost another post - I do not believe that I am to comment to you - I am heartbroken and so discouraged that they seem to disappear off into "somewhere" - maybe I will write them up on a word doc. and try to copy and paste it - then we will see what happens. Just simply know that I love you and am so very proud of you. Your comments are coming through loudly and clearly, love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. my favorite too, bethany! i love when you all have WOW! moments with GOD and HE reveals HIMSELF to you.... and then you share with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in love with this post!! SO cute!! I wish I could be there dancing with you!! I know all about your sweet moves from Prom =D
    I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!

    ReplyDelete