Saturday, June 26, 2010

the sound of roosters

Are roosters ever quiet? It doesn't seem like they are here, at all. I fall asleep and wake up to their sounds. Do dogs ever stop barking?? Here, that thought is highly unlikely. They are tons of stray dogs always running around getting into fights with one another. Recently, I tried to go up to a stray puppy to pet it but it was too terrified to let me get close. In that puppy's experience, if I get close to it, it means I am going to beat it. Sad, but very true. Do army men ever stop chanting?? Okay, they do. But their chants are another alarm clock of mine as they run right past the compound in the very early morning. The chants are becoming part of my dreams. Also, do marching bands have a full out practice at seven in the morning?? OF course they do! That's what woke me up this morning. It caught be by surprise.

I hope it doesn't sound like I am complaining, because that's not my goal. These sounds have become apart of my everyday routine here. It's hard to remember the sounds I heard at home as I've been here for five weeks now. I only have a month and a half to go, and that thought is insane to me. While it feels like I've been here forever, the time passes so quickly. So with the time I have left, I'll continue to listen for the sounds that I will soon be missing.

It's amazing what you'll hear if you listen for a second.

I haven't posted recently, and that is because most times I simply don't know what to post about. We do tons, but at times, it feels like I have nothing to share. I guess most of you would read mostly anything I write on here since there is an ocean between us. I do have tons to share with how God is working and the ministries I am involved in. My goal is do a better job with keeping everyone updated. I'm sure it will help both of us when the time comes for me to return home.

Did I mention life is so easy and simple here?? Today I will be spending the day on the beach. I'll aim to post more later.

1 comment:

  1. ha! Nick and i just laughed over the title of your post! ROOSTERS haunt me in my dreams still!!! I have a little hate in my heart for them...except that they are yummy to eat and there young make a good breakfast sandwich.
    THE BEACH....ahhhh....i have such good memories there. Just me and my long lost journal...I'm sure if I could find it there would be such great advice and wisdom I could probably use today!!! Look for it, ok?!
    Praying for you this morning...asking the LORD to shower you with compassion and love to everyone who comes in front of you today. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete