Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Getting Started

Since this is our first week here in Gabon, it's pretty much all orientation. We spent Monday on the beach with a team from Crown College for their last day. It was a pretty easy day to be an intern. Not many locals swim in the ocean as it is a very western practice, so we were the only ones enjoying the water that day. The beach was beautiful and the water was warm. Needless to say, I prefer this side of the Atlantic Ocean a bit more.

Tuesday morning was started off with an orientation. We went over some housekeeping rules and Tim shared a little about what their ministry here in Gabon is centered around. We talked about what people base their significance on and concluded that it was often on awards, accomplishments and a sense of fulfilling their purpose. As Christians, we know our purpose from what I Corinthians 10:31 tells us, “So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” Regardless of where I find myself in any given moment, my purpose is to bring glory to God, and God alone. Same goes for you.

That sounds pretty simple, and I wish that it was sometimes. Since the fall, three things are competing for our attention within our minds. They are Me, Satan, and the Holy Spirit. My own selfishness and Satan's scheming keep me from ultimately paying attention to the last and most important one competing for my attention, the Holy Spirit. Truly, the Holy Spirit is the only One that matters among that group. The Holy Spirit is where all of my attention needs to be fixed upon.

So this week is basically about going around and visiting the different ministries that we will be apart of this summer. Tuesday we went to the Mobile Medical Clinic main location. We met the nurses and I got to see Mama Janine again. I think she remembered me because she started talking lots of French and pointing at me when I shook her hand. We visited a few other locations and got to see some medical stations, most of which are the best in Gabon. The ministries are truly blessed by the resources and land the Lord has given them. Today, Tuesday, we went to the Hope House Orphanage. For those of you who came last year, they live in a different house now. This house is bigger and better suites the needs of the ministry. We worked on building concrete columns so that a fence can go up around the facility. We also got to play with the children, and I loved seeing familiar faces. I am so excited that I will get to spend time there this summer, each week, building relationships with the different children.

We went to the open Market today, and it was not s insane as I remember. I am not sure why that is, but I am thankful for that. It was busy, we were called after, and we were stared at. I forgot all my manners( a necessity when in this market), and looked out for myself and my teammates. We'll be visiting there lots this summer.

The internet doesn't always work, so my plan is to type it up in a word document and then paste it onto my blog. This way I will be sure that I am writing about what is happening, and you lovely folks won't be missing any part of my summer. :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bethany, Great to read another post. Yesterday - 06/02 - was our 31st wedding anniversary and we had a good time, but are going out to eat tonight instead - the LORD willing. I am so thrilled that you are already "hard at work" and reacquainting yourself with everything over there once more. Mom's leg is getting better and she is being careful with it. Knowing that you are being about your "good work" is so important for our attitude about not really missing you - but we still do. I will try to show Mom how to add a post and we will then see what happens. Love to you especially and everyone else as well! - Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again honey - I want you to make certain that every one - Mariah, Drew, and Nathan - knows that I am faithfully reading their blogs and updated posts, but I will probably only post to your site. I am touched by the depth of maturity in what you all are reporting, but then knowing your folks I should not be surprised at all - should I? You all and your mission - is covered daily in prayer. I liked the distinction about being there 1st of all (!) as compared to be thing there to work. JESUS came - the Incarnation - in the flesh and HE was here being GOD in the flesh first, and then he was also being about HIS Father's work. Maybe that makes some sense - what more can I say? - be about it! - being there! Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi bethany,

    i, too am faithly reading the posts you all write. i love to see what is happening in your lives and how the LORD is working..... not only with your hands and feet to minister over there... but in your own personal lives!
    love to all! :) (Mrs Law, mom, or vivien)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha I can just imagine you protecting all the other team mates in the market. You are SO like that!!
    I miss you so much!
    Praying always, Kelly

    ReplyDelete