Wednesday, January 6, 2010

leaving my boat.

Currently, I am reading through the gospels. Today, I read in chapter 4 of Matthew as Jesus called His first disciples. It seems so simple, He called them, and they followed.

"They (Simon Peter and Andrew) were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 'Come, follow me,' Jesus said, ' and I will send you out to fish for people.' At once they left their nets and followed him." - Matthew 4: 19-20

Simple, right? But putting myself in that same situation, I imagine it much more difficult for me. So there I am, comfortable in my boat as I watch the waves gently move, with a bottle of ice tea in hand, in the midst of my everyday job. Just like any other day, I am working with my brother. Concentrating, I cast my net out so it can be filled with fish. But, while doing this, I hear someone calling me, so I listen. He tells me to follow him. And this is where my story is different. I am working, trying to earn a living, and he wants me to just follow Him? He expects me to leave my boat, all I have ever known, my job and source of income, life as I know it, my family (as James and John do in vs 22), my everything, to become a fisher of people? Thinking He doesn't know what He is asking, I tell him that I am very busy, but instead of completely shutting him out, I use the manners my mother taught me and invite him into MY boat.

Sadly, I often find myself inviting Jesus into my boat. I invite Him in when I decide I can't talk to the girl who I pass everyday, when I blatantly disobey my parents, when I become impatient and lose my temper when talking to my brother, and when I can't find the time to do the simplest of things for others.

I hear Jesus calling me everyday to leave my boat and follow Him. Some days I am better at leaving than others. Daily, even momentarily, I find myself with the choice to invite Him in and be comfortable, or to stand up, leave my boat and everything it means, and to follow His lead. The alternate ending to my story (I prefer this one) is just that. I leave my boat 'at once' and follow the path that Jesus leads me on.

1 comment:

  1. Good post, Beth. I'm reading "If you want to walk on water, you've go to get out of the boat" by John Ortberg on this very same passage.

    "Sometimes, in the providence of God the end of a career is the beginning of a calling..."

    The end of the fishing career was the beginning of a lifelong pursuit of the Savior. Fear of following could cost us our destiny...

    Thanks for the reminder and the nudge...I'd put the book away for a while -it's coming back out to FINISH it!!!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete