Thursday, January 21, 2010

community

After a long tiresome day full of classes, cafeteria food, walks that took me clear across campus, and laughs with friends, I am finally home. And when I say home, I mean back to my dorm room. My room, the people, and this campus all feel like home. No mistake about it. Honestly, that thought is still a little strange for me.

The thing about Nyack that makes me feel so at home is the sense of community. Community with my peers in classes, my group of friends, the Education department, my hall full of girls, the people who sit at the same table as me at meals, and anyone else I run into. I am amazed God shows us what community means even before he created Eve to be with Adam. Within the Trinity, we see community. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The trinity demonstrates for us what community is to look like: love.

The thing about it is, we are all different. We have different backgrounds, upbringings, interests, friends, majors, and views. Yet with all those differences, we have one thing in common, Jesus. Sometimes all those other things can get in the way but the truth about it is, when we push away all those things along with ourselves, only Jesus remains. He is the only good in any of us. It is because of Him that we are all on the campus and follow after what he has taught us about community. While we are all here for different things, we desire for one thing, that Christ be glorified in and through everything we do. As Christians, we will always be apart of community, but my time as part of the Nyack community is limited to 4 years. That seems like a long time now, but I am sure it will fly by so quickly ( it already is).

Right now, I appreciate the community that I find myself in and desire to gain as much from it as possible and to learn from my peers, professors, and those who surround me. All different, we are more alike than we think.

When I think about community, I Corinthians 12 comes to mind as it talks about the Body of Christ. While that is too long of a passage to post, here are verses 12-13:

The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ. For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment