Monday, October 11, 2010

time

Clearly, I have not updated in a very long time. It's been too long if you ask me. And the thing about time these days is that there never seems to be enough of it. Never enough time to talk to all the people that I love, to get ahead on the thousands of assignments, to read all the blogs I wish I could, to taste all the tea at the coffee shop, to wash my laundry (don't tell my mom), to mail the encouragement letter that I've been meaning to for the past three weeks, to listen to the music that had once graced my ears, or to make a visit home.

I stink at prioritizing. Returning from my summer, that's something I've been working on. Giving priority to those things that matter, and leaving the things that don't for a day when I have lots of spare time. Sometimes I succeed, and other days I seem to accomplish nothing. Regardless of how I spend my days, whether productive or not, I find myself making comments that speak of how fast time passes.

Tonight in my class, my professor mentioned something about these comments. He spoke about how amazing it was that we have the ability to realize that time passes so quickly. The fact that we realize that we don't have enough time for everything and that the balance of it isn't always right in our lives, proves that we were created for something greater. We were created for eternity, where there will be no time to keep track of and where I won't have a checklist of things I need to get done in 24 hours.

It's true. If we were supposed to be alright with it, then we wouldn't be questioning time, or complaining how there isn't enough of it. Think of it this way, I doubt that a fish speaks about wetness of water. That's all it knows. A fish was created to live in the water so it doesn't ask questions. I wasn't created for this Earth, I was created for Eternity. I've been reminded of that truth tons lately. It seems to be lesson I'm learning everyday. I like learning this, because it reminds me that I was created for something greater than this world. This old world, is not my home, nor will it ever be.

2 comments:

  1. We're not supposed to be too attached to this place...but I'm sure hoping it's ok to be attached to the PEOPLE who live here, 'cause I MISS YOU! Good reminder, here, to keep things in perspective and intentionally live close to heaven. Love you, Beth!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I almost jumped off my bed when I saw that you actually updated. more like thought my eyes were tripping out! I LOVE this thought cute. It's totally what i'm in the {middle} of right now. I don't think there is a day that goes by that I wish I could tack a couple more hours to the day! I love you! Just know that :) heaven is a comforting thought in all our daily mess isn't it?

    ReplyDelete